The best way to make your skin looking beautiful and youthful is to take care of it. A good skin care routine can actually keep your skin smooth and free from wrinkles for longer. In fact, it can also help keep your skin radiant and glowing, so you need less makeup, as well. To truly get the skin you want, you have to invest time in taking care of it. But how do you develop good skincare habits?
What Are Good Skincare Habits?
Read the following tips to find out how to take care of your skin and protect it from wrinkling in the future.
- Wear Sunscreen – When we say this, we mean wear it every single day. Truly, no matter how cloudy it is out, the sun can get through the clouds and hurt your skin. Now, you may not actually see the damage on your skin in the form of a burn, but it causes damage under the skin that leads to wrinkles. In fact, even during rainy days your skin can become damaged by the sun. So, you should always layer a broad-spectrum SPF on top of your moisturizer to help stop this damage that leads to wrinkles.
- Use Moisturizer – Many people don’t realize just how important using a good moisturizer is for your skin. Usually, people who have oily skin believe they don’t need a moisturizer because there’s already so much moisture on their skin. But, in fact, if you skip a moisturizer, your skin becomes oilier. Then, if you skip a moisturizer every day, your skin can dry out, as well. And, dry skin wrinkles faster than oily skin does. So, to maintain balance in your skin’s oils and to combat signs of future aging, you should moisturize your face every morning and night.
- Take Off Your Makeup Every Night – This is incredibly important for keeping your skin healthy. Unfortunately, so many women leave their makeup on when they go to sleep. Whether it’s because they simply are too tired to do it, or just don’t feel up to taking it off, that’s a problem. Because, makeup can get into the pores and cause acne and blackheads. And, the more makeup you leave on your skin, the duller it will look over time. So, using a makeup wipe or a gentle cleanser at the end of the night leaves your skin free from the dirt, oil, and makeup that could cause skin problems.
- Use Anti-Aging Products – No matter your age, you should probably be using some type of anti-aging product. For example, if you’re over the age of 40 and battling wrinkles, obviously, you probably want to use one to erase those wrinkles. But, even if you’re in your 20s, now is a good time to start using anti-aging products. Because, so many women use them too late in life, when they already have wrinkles. When, in fact, the best way to fight wrinkles is to prevent them from happening. So, using an anti-aging cream every night can help current wrinkles look better and future wrinkles stay away. Even if you’re not keen on using a traditional anti-aging cream, try supplementing your diet with some great anti-aging herbs.
- Get Enough Sleep – When you don’t sleep well, your skin takes a big hit. In fact, lack of sleep releases cortisol in the body, which is a stress hormone. And, you know the old saying about how being stressed makes you have wrinkles? Well, it’s true. The increase in this hormone in the body after a lack of sleep can lead to the breakdown of collagen in your skin. So, your skin will start drooping and you’ll experience dark circles. And, if that’s not enough motivation to get 7-8 hours, a study from 2010 showed that people are rated as more attractive after 8 hours of sleep.
- Know How To Relax – This one goes hand-in-hand with the one above. Just like a lack of sleep, stress releases cortisol in the body. So, when you’re constantly going from one thing to another, your body never has time to relax. These constant surges in cortisol actually lead to a breakdown of collagen and elastin in your skin. And, those are the two main components that hold your skin tight and smooth. Stress can also worsen skin conditions like rosacea and psoriasis. So, you should do things like exercise, meditate, or just take some time to yourself every day to combat the effects of stress on your skin.
- Be Gentle With Your Skin – One of the biggest causes of wrinkles is actually not genetics. It’s normal wear and tear from rubbing your face. Think about this, how many times a day do you rub your face? Maybe you have an itch, or you’re tired so you rub your eyes. Well, this all adds up, and it leads to a breakdown of collagen. In fact, even rubbing your face dry with a towel after your shower can cause collagen loss. So, you have to be gentle with your face. Use a patting motion to get it dry, and try to keep your hands off your face. Also, try to avoid scrubbing your face clean, as that also causes wrinkles.